Orthopaedic Surgeon | Hip | Knee | Trauma | Robotic Surgery
Dr Robert Baird is a highly regarded Australian trained Orthopaedic Surgeon specialising in musculoskeletal conditions of the hip and knee, joint replacement surgery, orthopaedic trauma and revision surgery.
As a Director and founding member of Adelaide Hip & Knee Centre, Dr Baird provides consulting and surgical services as well as a 24- hour trauma hotline service for patients in Adelaide.
Dr Baird obtained his Bachelor of Science with First Class Honours in Genetics in 1996 at the University of Adelaide and completed his Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery at Flinders University in 2000. He continued with his post graduate training in South Australia
and Queensland and went on to complete his Orthopaedic Surgical training and was awarded his Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons – Orthopaedics in 2008.
He then undertook further sub-specialty fellowship training in complex joint replacement and revision surgery at St Michaels Hospital, Toronto, Canada and orthopaedic trauma surgery at Vancouver General Hospital, Canada.
Dr Baird is also a member of the Australian Defence Force and in this capacity, served in Afghanistan as a trauma surgeon in 2009.
Dr Baird’s fellowship training together with his Defence Force and public and private sector involvement has enhanced his experience in the best practice of all aspects of hip and knee surgery including joint replacement, arthroscopic surgery and trauma.
- Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Australian Medical Association
- Australian Orthopaedic Association Young Leaders Forum
- Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Osteosynthesis and Trauma Care Foundation
- Burnside War Memorial Hospital Perioperative Committee
Current posts and positions:
- VMO Burnside War Memorial Hospital
- VMO North East Community Hospital
- Senior Visiting Medical Specialist Royal Adelaide Hospital responsible for the management of complex trauma and arthroplasty
- Senior Clinical Lecturer University of Adelaide
Dr Baird is one of the first surgeons in South Australia to be trained and certified in the use of Robotic Arm Assisted Joint Replacement for partial knee, total hip and total knee replacement. As a director of Adelaide Hip & Knee Centre, he was instrumental in the introduction of the Mako robotic service in Adelaide at Burnside War Memorial Hospital.
Dr Baird’s level of experience with the Mako Robotic Arm system has resulted in him being one of the few surgeons in Australia chosen to be an instructor of the system, through clinical observations which is designed to train other orthopaedic surgeons in its use.
Dr Baird has a passion for teaching and is involved as a senior clinical lecture with the University of Adelaide School of Medicine, as a supervisor of trainee Orthopaedic Surgeons, and is a regularly invited faculty member for master courses designed to train other orthopaedic surgeons in orthopaedic trauma management and joint replacement surgery.
Areas of special interest:
- Joint replacement surgery including robotic knee and hip replacement
- Revision surgery which includes problems due to fractures, infection, loosening, instability or implant fractures
- Arthroscopic surgery
- Orthopaedic Trauma
Dr Baird has continued with his support and development of orthopaedic robotic services due its ability to provide consistent surgical accuracy and potential for fast rehabilitation time.
Dr Baird is pleased to discuss challenging patients and accept direct referrals and welcomes your calls on (08) 7325 4810. Also should you require an urgent appointment for your patient this direct access will allow for the most prompt vetting of the referral.