Orthopaedic Surgeon | Hip | Knee | Robotic Surgery
Dr Robert Fassina is a highly regarded Australian trained Orthopaedic Surgeon specialising in the management of conditions affecting the hip and knee.
Dr Fassina is a co-founder and a director of Adelaide Hip & Knee Centre. He provides consulting and surgical services for patients in Adelaide and in regional centres that he visits including the Eyre Peninsula (Ceduna), Fleurio Peninsula (Goolwa) and Darwin.
Dr Fassina obtained his Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery at the University of Adelaide in 2001. He then went on to complete his Advanced Orthopaedic Surgical training and was Awarded Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons – Orthopaedics in 2011.
In 2011, Dr Fassina undertook and completed his Fellowship in Complex Hip and Knee Arthroplasty and Reconstructive Surgery at the University Hospital of London Health Sciences Centre in London, Ontario, Canada. This prestigious fellowship enhanced his experience in the management of simple and complex conditions affecting the hip and knee.
Dr Fassina has been instrumental in the introduction of robotic arm assisted joint replacement surgery to South Australia.
- Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Australian Medical Association South Australia
Current posts and positions:
- Orthopaedic Consultant Surgeon – Visiting Medical Specialist Burnside Hospital
- Orthopaedic Representative to Burnside Hospital Clinical Review Committee
- Visiting Medical Specialist Royal Darwin Hospital
- Senior Visiting Medical Specialist Ceduna Hospital
- Director Adelaide Hip & Knee Centre
- Senior Visiting Medical Specialist Royal Adelaide Hospital
Driven by a desire to provide his patients with best possible outcomes using evidence based techniques, Dr Fassina has adopted the use of Robotic Assisted Joint Replacement Surgery for partial knee, total hip and now total knee replacement and was instrumental in the introduction of the first Mako robotic service of this kind in Adelaide at Burnside Hospital.
Dr Fassina’s commitment to training and development of other surgeons continues with an active involvement in the teaching of registrars and medical students as a senior clinical lecturer with the University of Adelaide.
Dr Fassina continues to be an invited speaker, both locally and internationally, educating medical practitioners and orthopaedic surgeons in the management of arthritis and the use of robotics in orthopaedic surgery.
Areas of special interest:
- Robotic knee and hip replacement surgery
- Minimally invasive and muscle sparing hip replacement surgery
- Knee replacement surgery
- Revision joint replacement surgery
- The treatment of sports injuries to the knee (meniscus and ACL repair and reconstruction)
Dr Fassina is pleased to discuss challenging patients and accept direct referrals and welcomes your calls on (08) 7325 4820 (direct to Dr Fassina’s personal assistant) or 0403 949 712 (Dr Fassina). Also should you require an urgent appointment for your patient this direct access will allow for the most prompt vetting of the referral.