Orthopaedic Surgeon | Hip | Knee | Trauma | Robotic Surgery
- Robotic Assisted Hip and Knee Replacement
- Knee Replacement Surgery using Patient Specific Technology
- Revision Hip and Knee Replacement
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) reconstruction
- Limb length and deformity correction
- Arthroscopy of the Hip and Knee
- Sporting injuries and knee instability (meniscus, ligament and cartilage surgery)
- Orthopaedic Trauma
- Burnside Specialist Centre – 3/120 Kensington Rd, Toorak Gardens
- Calvary Central Districts Hospital – 25-37 Jarvis Rd, Elizabeth Vale
- Jamestown – Goyders Line Medical, 66 Irvine St, Jamestown
- Mildura Private Hospital – 220-228 Thirteenth St, Mildura
- Available for virtual clinics and tel-health appointments
- Burnside War Memorial Hospital
- Calvary Central Districts Hospital
- North East Community Hospital
- Mildura Private Hospital
- Admitting rights and additional lists available at St Andrews Hospital, Calvary Adelaide Hospital, Flinders Private Hospital
- Bachelor of Science, University of Adelaide 1995
- Bachelor of Science with First Class Honours in Genetics, University of Adelaide 1996
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Flinders University 2000
- Fellowship Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS Orthopaedic Surgery) 2008
- Fellowship Orthopaedic Association of Australia 2008
- Post Fellowship Training Complex Joint Replacement and Revision Surgery, St Michaels Hospital, Toronto, Canada 2009
- Post Fellowship Training Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery, Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver, Canada 2009
Adelaide Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr Robert Baird, is a highly regarded Australian trained specialist who focuses on the management of musculoskeletal conditions of the hip and knee, joint replacement surgery, orthopaedic trauma and revision joint replacement surgery.
As a Director and founding member of Adelaide Hip & Knee Centre, Dr Baird provides consulting and surgical services as well as a 24- hour trauma hotline service for patients in Adelaide, Regional South Australia and Victoria.
Dr Baird obtained his Bachelor of Science with First Class Honours in Genetics in 1996 at the University of Adelaide, and completed his Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery at Flinders University in 2000. He continued with his post graduate training in South Australia and Queensland, and went on to complete his Orthopaedic Surgical training and was awarded his Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons – Orthopaedics in 2008.
He then undertook further sub-specialty fellowship training in complex joint replacement and revision surgery at St Michaels Hospital, Toronto, Canada and orthopaedic trauma surgery at Vancouver General Hospital, Canada.
Dr Baird is also a member of the Australian Defence Force and in this capacity, served in Afghanistan as a trauma surgeon in 2009.
Dr Baird’s extensive training together with his Defence Force and public and private sector involvement has enhanced his experience in the best practice care of all aspects of hip and knee surgery, including joint replacement, arthroscopic surgery and trauma.
Current posts and positions:
- Visiting Medical Specialist Burnside War Memorial Hospital
- Visiting Medical Specialist Calvary Central Districts Hospital
- Visiting Medical Specialist Mildura Private Hospital
- Senior Visiting Medical Specialist Royal Adelaide Hospital responsible for the management of complex trauma and arthroplasty (Joint Replacements)
- Senior Clinical Lecturer University of Adelaide
- Director Orthopaedic Training Royal Adelaide Hospital
- Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Australian Medical Association
- Australian Orthopaedic Association Young Leaders Forum
- Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Osteosynthesis and Trauma Care Foundation
- Burnside War Memorial Hospital Peri-operative Committee
Dr Baird is one of the first surgeons in South Australia to be trained and certified in the use of Robotic Arm Assisted Joint Replacement for partial knee, total hip and total knee replacement.
Dr Baird was instrumental in the introduction of the first Mako robotic assisted joint replacement service in South Australia in 2015, at the Burnside War Memorial Hospital. This service has extensive experience in this technology with well over 1000 cases performed.
Dr Baird’s level of experience with the Mako Robotic Arm system has resulted in him being one of the few surgeons in Australia chosen to be an instructor of the system to train other orthopaedic surgeons in its use.
Dr Baird regularly trains both local and international surgeons on Robotic Assisted Joint Replacement Surgery and Revision Joint Replacement Surgery.
Dr Baird is also involved in research involving Robotic Assisted Joint Replacement designed to improve patient outcomes and satisfaction.
Dr Baird has a passion for teaching and is involved as a Senior Clinical Lecturer with the University of Adelaide School of Medicine, Director of Orthopaedic Training a the Royal Adelaide Hospital, and is a regularly invited faculty member for master courses designed to train other surgeons in orthopaedic trauma management and joint replacement surgery.
Dr Baird has continued with his support and development of orthopaedic robotic services due to its ability to provide consistent surgical accuracy and potential for fast rehabilitation time.
Dr Baird is passionate about improving his patient’s quality of life and decreasing their recovery time. Through the use of minimally invasive techniques aided by Robotic Assisted Surgery and Patient Specific Technology his aim is to minimise pain and restore active life styles.
Dr Baird is pleased to discuss challenging patients and accept direct referrals and welcomes your calls on (08) 7325 4810, or email email@example.com.
Dr Baird also provides a Rapid Assessment Clinic for urgent Hip and Knee issues.
Adelaide Hip & Knee Centre continues to provide a 24/7, 365 day a year emergency referral and trauma service for all orthopaedic problems. To access this service, call 1800 DR BONE (1800 372 663). This is a direct to surgeon hotline.